Do you still run your source code control on Visual SourceSafe (VSS)? Did you know it retired from mainstream support in July 2012? There is a way to migrate your code to Azure DevOps Server or Services. And Black Marble can help you prepare, guide you through the process to ensure a smooth transition.
We will work with your team, analyse your existing VSS deployment and devise a migration plan that is tailored to your business needs.
We can identify a suitable back-up solution for the existing Visual SourceSafe Database, as well as identifying the correct folders to migrate and how to maintain your users’ history where viable.
How we carry out the Migration Plan
Black Marble provides experienced consultants on site for a minimum of one day, depending on the size of your organisation, and current implementation, increasing the time on site proportionally.
Once on site, we examine the existing implementation of Visual SourceSafe and meet with the key members of staff that use it, discussing what they want/need from the migration.
The Migration Plan
We will produce a Migration Plan for a successful transfer from Visual SourceSafe to Azure DevOps Server (TFS) or Azure DevOps Services (Cloud). It will include:
- Summary of existing system, including what needs to be migrated.
- Is the migration to be to an on premised server or the cloud.
- Discussion of whether the migration should be to TFVC or Git based source control.
- Discussion of the whole edit history or current/tip source code is to be migrated (latter is strongly recommended)
- Discussion of managing identity
- Number of Databases.
- Size of Databases.
- Recommended Azure DevOps Server or Services implementation.
- Migration Plan.
- How long the migration will take.